Von: Matthew Atkinson <matkinson@tpgi.com>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. April 2022 22:14
An: Accessible Platform Architectures Administration <public-apa-admin@w3.org>
Betreff: Call for Consensus (CfC): APA Comment on SVG Native

Colleagues:

This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to the Accessible Platform Architectures
(APA) Working Group testing whether we have group consensus on comments and suggested edits on the SVG Native Editor's Draft at <https://svgwg.org/specs/svg-native/>.

<beginning of suggested comment>

APA comments on the SVG Native Editor's Draft at <https://svgwg.org/specs/svg-native/>.

We are concerned that removing the ability to specify an accessible name and description for the image (i.e. <title> and <desc>) would present accessibility barriers, and would limit the capabilities of SVG Native compared to other image formats.

Other image formats provide for similar metadata: the PNG spec provides for various metadata, including an image description [1]; GIF and JPEG files provide for metadata and text comment storage.

We request that, when the underlying platform supports the exposure of accessible names or descriptions, that an SVG Native renderer (RFC 2119) MUST expose their contents to the accessibility API.

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/PNG/#4Concepts.AncillInfo

<end suggested comment>

***Action to Take***

This CfC is now open for objection, comment, as well as statements of support via email. Silence will be interpreted as support, though messages of support are certainly welcome.

If you object to this proposed action, or have comments concerning this proposal, please respond by replying on list to this message no later than 23:59 (Midnight) Boston Time, Wednesday 4 May.

NOTE: This Call for Consensus is being conducted in accordance with the APA Decision Policy published at:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/decision-policy

We thank Paul Grenier for his assistance with crafting this comment, and for everyone's input during our teleconference discussions on this topic.

best regards,

Matthew and Janina
--
Matthew Tylee Atkinson (he/him)