Re: [public-annotea-dev] <none>

Quoting "Ralph R. Swick" <swick@w3.org>:

> At 10:47 PM 10/13/2004 -0500, marja@annotea.org wrote:
> >I think it makes
> >sense to use global http:// HomeTopic because I think it helps merging
> several
> >bookmark files from the user's point of view.
>
> yes, it would be nice if users chose a home topic whose name
> could be resolved in the Web.  This gives them an easy place to
> publish other facts about their home topic for easy discovery by
> others.  (They can still publish facts about a non-http: home topic
> in the Web but obviously they have to find somewhere other than
> at the home topic URI to publish those facts.)
>
> > I want to take that direction
> >now with ubimarks and experiment with it.
> >
> >Is there any reason why I should not use
> >http://http://www.w3.org/2002/01/bookmark#MyHomeTopic ?
>
> If everyone uses the same home topic then dropping the 'My'
> from the Topic name would lead to less confusion about whether
> this was really personalized.  Remember -- if you load Jose's
> bookmark list together with your own, it will appear as if all
> of Jose's topics are also SubTopics of your own HomeTopic.

I agree that it is better to drop "My" or even name this a "CommonRoot" or
something like that. The idea was that it could be a hook to attach different
topic trees and not have much other meaning.

So, getting Jose's topics tree as part of my tree is what I wanted to do. But
obviously it would not help if I wanted to add it deeper in the tree
and that was another thing I wanted to do (forgot that in the excitement when
finally getting things to work again after crash :-) ).

I'm not sure if we even necessarily need a root topic for each file. My code
currently finds several root topics if they don't have a single starting point
and shows all those trees. Have to still look what the effect of Jose's
collections are for this.

HomeTopic was easy to add as a default topic if the bookmark has none, but
maybe it should be just listed without a topic until one is given...

Need to experiment and think a bit more. Ideas are welcome too. I'll try to
publish a new version soon, so you can better see the experiments both with
home topics and with different URI's for topics and bookmarks.

Marja