Re: Question on qualified linking between two resources

Beyond the arguments Rob expressed below (which I agree with)... Jacco, you said:

"specific triple is missing while it should be there (e.g. <data.europeana.eu/item/1> edm:isSimilarTo <data.europeana.eu/item/2>.)"

Why "should be there"? The annotation vocabulary is not meant to cover all possible relationships among resources. If an (RDF aware) application wants to use and add such a triple the overall information set in its own namespace then it can do it without further ado. This can be done in Turtle; but for an RDF aware application the JSON encoding is in fact JSON-LD, ie, nothing else than RDF, ie, such triple can be added, too. I am not sure why such facilities should be built into the core beyond what RDF can already do. I guess I am missing something. Alternatively, defining a separate motivation that can be used for the Annotation as a whole seems to be perfectly adequate, too (sure, the client of the annotation would have to have its own logic to deduce that extra triple in that case).

As Rob said, a general solution would probably require the use of named graphs (I do not even want to mention that stuff whose name begins with 'rei…'). If you are an RDF aware application then you can do that, using either the built-in facilities of JSON-LD, or TriX instead of Turtle. But I do not think this should be added to the WA model, it would utterly complicate things.

Ivan

P.S. See also my comment on another issue[1], more exactly paragraph starting by "The underlying issue…". This is highly relevant for this question, too.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/web-annotation/issues/137#issuecomment-172872489

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Lead