Re: [web-annotation] Make Selectors available for the wide world?

> On 22 Feb 2016, at 14:49, Jacob <notifications@github.com> wrote:
>
> @iherman <https://github.com/iherman> Personally I'd be fine with
exposing the SpecificResource class in general. I thought the whole
point of spinning selectors out is that there are plenty of
non-annotation contexts that need them. IMO, the same is true of the
SpecificResource class and pretty much everything that goes with it
vis-a-vis specifiers. The workset/collection use case I illustrated
back in November for this issue definitely benefits from reusing that
entire section (Specifiers) of the annotation vocabulary in service of
 decidedly non-annotation use cases (selection and inclusion of finely
 grained collection members). So +1 for spinning it into its own
namespace or at least not defining any of the specifier vocabulary in
such a way as to preclude the use of classes and predicates outside of
 annotation contexts.

Let me a bit provocative;-) We are talking about pure RDF issues, and
not about the user facing JSON serialization: what is really the usage
 of SpecificResource? It is simply a general RDF Resource (ie, the
most general 'thing' in RDF land), and the only reason of its
existence is that it is the domain for a number of RDF predicates. So
the question is whether all those properties do make sense outside of
the annotation world? I do not think so, like motivations.

Hence my proposal to define a superclass of SpecificResource which is
used for selectors, and then SpecificResource is a 'specialization' of
 that general class for annotation purposes.

But I do not want to get into this discussion too far: if we decide to
 use SpecificResource outside of the annotation world for selectors: I
 will not formally object. Similarly, if there is a massive push back
on spinning these out into a separate namespace: I will not lie down
the road. The really important point is to make these usable outside
the annotation world somehow, ie, document that properly. All this it
is not, in my view, really clean modeling, but this will ever worry
purists only.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by iherman
Please view or discuss this issue at