Re: multiple bodies and motivations

Hi Ray,

My question would be, are we conflating motivation with structural
implications? That a thing is a tag seems to me to say more about its
intrinsic nature, i.e., a tag is a sort snippet of text, a semantic tag is
a named entity, rather than the role it plays in the annotation. That being
said I do think that there is likely room in the model for a motivation (or
more properly a role) property on the body.

We may want to be cautious here because there will likely be cases where
the role a body plays in an annotation is sensitive to the environment the
annotation finds itself in. In some environments some text might be
explaining the target and in others it might be describing it. Since the
model is extensible it might be best to leave it to individual communities
to develop value added extensions particular to their annotation
repositories rather than try to develop an over-arching taxonomy of body
types that will likely be incomplete.

Regards,

Jacob

Jacob Jett
Research Assistant
Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
(217) 244-2164
jjett2@illinois.edu