Re: Class of an annotation body

Hi Ray,

I think annotating the resource with tags that make assertions about its
content is probably the better way to go. Realistically though we'll likely
have to accept that there will be a (possibly large) contingent of
developers who will be typing resources in exactly the manner you've used
in your example. Probably the best thing for us would be to remain agnostic
as we can't really mandate what consumers do with annotations once they've
consumed them. This kind of thing will have to be purview of individual
communities to discuss and adopt best practices for.

If that isn't ultimately satisfactory, then we might recommend that using
additional annotations to tag the body resource with information about its
content is a better practice than asserting multiple types but, this kind
of thing will ultimately be unenforceable. If we take this route, then we
might strongly argue that adding types that make assertions about a body's
content in addition to typing information about its format/form confuses
the semantics of the annotation body because the message (content) and
messenger (carrier format) get conflated. This is an age old problem in
libraries where it has eroded the utility of terms like *genre* to the
point of complete ambiguity with regards to a resource's topicality (e.g.,
fantasy), carrier type (e.g., book), and content type (e.g., poem).

Regards,

Jacob

Jacob Jett
Research Assistant
Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
(217) 244-2164
jjett2@illinois.edu