Re: [model] Modeling a Tweet: Tags

I understand the meaning of what Jacob and Rob are saying, but don't agree
with the conclusion.

It's true we can't determine the user's intended meaning in including the
hashtag, because we can't determine the meaning of the tag!

What I believe we can say for certain, though, is that the hashtag does tag
the tweet. It is the case that it makes the tweet show up in a search on
Twitter for that hashtag.

We don't know what #love means about the tweet or anything it refers to,
through whatever chain of reasoning, but we know that it causes the word
#love to be a link in most clients to a tag search that now returns that
tweet.

We can represent that linkification of text, with the linking motivation,
and we can represent that tagging of that tweet. I don't understand how
this is wrong and I apologize for raising the issue of user intent because
I am starting to suspect it may be a distraction.

First and foremost hashtags are about self-organization and ad-hoc grouping
*of the tweets that include them". #love may or may not mean that the user
loves their own tweet or any other referent but it most certainly does mean
this tweet has the hashtag "#love" (or maybe the tag "love" if you consider
the # purely a syntactical detail).