Re: Updated Protocol draft available

Hey, Ivan–

On 6/18/15 5:14 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:

> - Still with DELETE, it is not clear what really happens with the
> resource itself. Pragmatically, what should the server respond if a
> GET is issued with the URI of the deleted annotation. The LDP
> document forwards to the relevant RFC:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-4.3.5 which actually
> leaves this issue open. Should we keep it open, or should we define
> what should happen in such case (possibilities are to return a 404,
> or a 204 (no content). I have not made up my mind on this, just
> flagging the question. (I am mildly in favour of 404, although I do
> not like the fact that a URI, ie, the URI of the original annotation,
> is still around and would lead to a 404. On the other hand, if it is
> not a 404 then it would suggest that the URI can be reused through a
> PUT, which may not be a good idea and it would also force the server
> to check whether the resource is listed in the container.)

How about 410: Gone?

RFC7231 [1]:
[[
410 Gone

    The 410 (Gone) status code indicates that access to the target
    resource is no longer available at the origin server and that this
    condition is likely to be permanent.  If the origin server does not
    know, or has no facility to determine, whether or not the condition
    is permanent, the status code 404 (Not Found) ought to be used
    instead.

    The 410 response is primarily intended to assist the task of web
    maintenance by notifying the recipient that the resource is
    intentionally unavailable and that the server owners desire that
    remote links to that resource be removed.  Such an event is common
    for limited-time, promotional services and for resources belonging to
    individuals no longer associated with the origin server's site.  It
    is not necessary to mark all permanently unavailable resources as
    "gone" or to keep the mark for any length of time -- that is left to
    the discretion of the server owner.

    A 410 response is cacheable by default; i.e., unless otherwise
    indicated by the method definition or explicit cache controls (see
    Section 4.2.2 of [RFC7234]).
]]

Wikipedia [2]:
[[
410 Gone
     Indicates that the resource requested is no longer available and
will not be available again. This should be used when a resource has
been intentionally removed and the resource should be purged. Upon
receiving a 410 status code, the client should not request the resource
again in the future. Clients such as search engines should remove the
resource from their indices. Most use cases do not require clients and
search engines to purge the resource, and a "404 Not Found" may be used
instead.
]]

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-6.5.9
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes#4xx_Client_Error