Re: CfC: Resolution Annotation Protocol to make JSON-LD default returned if no HTTP Accept request header (deadline 24 June 2015)

Henry,

see below

> On 16 Jun 2015, at 07:49 , Henry Story <henry.story@co-operating.systems> wrote:
>

>> On 15 Jun 2015, at 23:43, Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com> wrote:
>>
>> Randall
>>
>> I think you are correct about this goal, to enable deployment of annotation servers that use LDP that has been profiled. That is part of what we are doing with the Accept default.
>>
>> If I remember :) this is the use case that Benjamin mentioned that got us started on all this.
>>
>> regards, Frederick
>>
>> Frederick Hirsch
>> Co-Chair, W3C Web Annotation WG
>>
>> www.fjhirsch.com
>> @fjhirsch
>>
>>> On Jun 15, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Randall Leeds <randall@bleeds.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> It feels to me like we're talking about what an annotation client and a generic LDP server can do quite a bit.
>>>
>>> Should we also consider the impact this has on interop between an annotation server that isn't a fully featured LDP server out of the box and some kind of generic LDP client?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure that distinction is useful but it kept coming up for me as I read this thread.
>
> There are two types of generic LDP clients
> 1) ones that never leave the domain of LDP server
> 2) ones that follow links acros the web from one domain to the other.
>
> It is not easy to enforce 1), as LDP serves linked data and inevitably links may appear that link elsewhere.  But that is the only case where it would make sense to create clients that  use no Accept header with mime type, due to the client knowing how its server worked.
>
> Any client of type 2) that follows links across the web, needs to have as many parsers available as possible in order to deal with all the types of data it can find on the web.
> My client for the moment uses
>
>  "application/n-triples,application/ld+json;q=0.8,text/turtle;q=0.8"
>
> But of course a client that can deal with RDFa too will offer the user more features.
>
> I don't really see how a client with any linked data ambitions would ever make a request without specifying the parsers it has available.  Even more so if one group of LDP servers serves JSON-LD as a default and the other Turtle. But that is not a bad thing.
>
> My feeling is that the server will serve as default whatever the customer prefers, to get him going. Then as they want to build real Linked Data apps, they'll come across this thread.

Let us not forget the origin of this discussion. We are not discussing generic clients with extensive 'linked data ambitions'. Annotation clients are not that kind of breed. Annotation clients are very localized to one documents, the links in an annotation structure are either used to identify specific portions of a document that is being annotated, or to refer to annotation bodies, ie, specific text/html/jpg/etc. documents. Of course there may be more complex scenarios, but the famous 80/20 cut means that we have to concentrate on the majority of our usage patterns.

As has been said in this thread many times, these issue and discussions are of course important and interesting, but go way beyond what the Annotation WG can and is chartered to handle.

Ivan

>>> The only thing I'd say to this is that
>>> 1. the idea of having a Annotation server different from an LDP server is a bit weird, because annotation is clearly a subset of what can be done with LDP. It would be weird in that someone doing Annotations could then not use an LDP server out of the box.
>>> 2. Serving JSON-LD by default is only satisfactory to JSON folks in the very special case of the annotation representations served by the Annotation group. In any other case ( such as Activity Streams 2.0, serving JSON-LD by default won't be satisfactory to them).
>>>
>>> To really satisfy the JSON folks, we need an automatic way for them to specify the right form/profile/crystalisation of the documents produced, so that LDP servers can automatically generate them by following its nose ( of the URL in the profile=... of the mime type for example ), so that generic LDP servers can do the right thing .
>>>
>>> The action to take there is really to find the JSON-LD folks and see if they are up to specifying such a format, which could then be required by LDP-next. At the minimum it seems that the LDP group could here produce a short requirement that such a feature would be very helpful. This does not seem to be something the LDP next group can specify, but it would be very helpful to have.

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/