From: Robert Sanderson [mailto:azaroth42@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 4:23 PM
To: Denenberg, Ray
Cc: Web Annotation
Subject: Re: client/server model

Hi Ray,

That's a great question!  In the community group, we intentionally didn't discuss protocol between clients and servers and left that for future work.
The use of client (or equivalent 'consuming client') and server in the model should only ever be informative rather than requiring behavior.  Behaviors should be in the protocol specification.  I'll go through and work on that, as we were probably not at all rigorous.

The implicit understanding of client and server in the model doc at the moment I think are:

* client: A system that receives an annotation according to this model
* server: A system that makes available an annotation according to this model

So just the base line retrieval function (and not even specifying how), rather than creation of the annotation or discovery of annotations according to some criteria.

Does that answer your questions?

Rob