Re: [model] Clarifying annotation architecture

Hi Frederic,

So I have some additional questions.

If I understand your suggestion correctly, each annotation (with multiple
bodies having their own motivations) would simply be a named graph. From a
semweb perspective this raises a question of what the annotation uri
identifies -- an annotation or the structure of that annotation? These are
distinct concepts and folks that employ semweb tools like reasoners will
find their tools drawing different conclusions about the "annotation".

Something that I think is also missing from this discussion is that the
standard we're developing is designed as the data sharing layer between
similar clients and is intended more as a "how should I serialize the data"
than a "how should I build an annotation client for my users".

I think one of the problems with what Doug has suggested is that it
complicates how client's that consume annotation's will have to be
implemented. The example is also an edge case. With comments, highlights,
tags, etc., it's very clear that the client will just display something to
the end user. Edit's on the other hand imply much more structured workflows
whose end result is the destruction of the target (either through
replacement, modification, addition, or subtraction of things).

I'm not certain how this kind of annotation would be valid, except during
the brief course of time that it exists inside of the client itself (i.e.,
during the editing process). How meaningful are "editing" annotations going
to be outside of their local context? If we have an inkling that they won't
be very meaningful then why would we even bother to serialize this kind of
annotation?

Is there an expectation that other systems containing the pertinent target
documents would consume the serialized edit and then execute it on the
target documents within *their *local context? If yes, then doesn't that
also open the *trust* can of worms?

What are the other use cases that necessitate Doug's proposed solution over
one of the alternatives?

Is this a situation where a major revision to the model is being proposed
to service an edge case?

Thanks,

Jacob

Regards,

Jacob
Jacob Jett
Research Assistant
Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
(217) 244-2164
jjett2@illinois.edu