Re: [h-dev] JavaScript Anchoring Utility Libraries

From: Nick Stenning <nickstenning@hypothes.is>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:37:01 +0200
To: "Randall Leeds" <randall@bleeds.info>
Cc: "Web Annotation" <public-annotation@w3.org>, "dev@list.hypothes.is" <dev@list.hypothes.is>, "annotator-dev@lists.okfn.org" <annotator-dev@lists.okfn.org>
On 13 Jul 2015, at 20:10, Randall Leeds wrote:

> Fragment Selector: https://github.com/hypothesis/dom-anchor-fragment
> Text Position Selector:
> https://github.com/hypothesis/dom-anchor-text-position
> Text Quote Selector: https://github.com/hypothesis/dom-anchor-text-quote
>
> All of these have been published on npm as alpha versions, which means you
> have to specify the version explicitly when installing them for now.
>
> I would appreciate any feedback on these and I hope that they are useful
> for implementations or discussion.

I've had a look through all three of these, and overall I think they look great! Simple, nice. Lovely.

Only one question and a couple of comments:

- what's the basis for the 32 character prefix/suffix for TextQuoteAnchor? I'm sure it's fine but regardless of whether it is a magic number of there's more to it, it should be a constant, not inlined in a couple of places through the code.

- a handful of judiciously placed comments would help with code comprehension -- particularly in the TextPositionAnchor and to a lesser extent the TextQuoteAnchor code.

- couple of minor typos (link syntax) in the dom-anchor-text-position README.

-N