Re: [web-annotation] Annotation Lists

> On 07 Jul 2015, at 18:03 , Rob Sanderson <notifications@github.com>
wrote:

> Several downstream systems have a need for lists of annotations,
including EPUB [1] and IIIF [2]. For search, we need to have a list of
 annotations for the result set of applying the query to the set of
annotations. Other expressed use cases are user constructed
"playlists" of Annotations, curated distribution lists of annotations,
 and general optimization of annotation retrieval to avoid thousands
of HTTP calls for each annotation individually.

> As an initial proposal, we could use Activity-Streams's
OrderedCollection class[3], which seems to fulfill the (implicit, to
be expressed) requirements:

"http://www.w3.org/ns/oa"],
>   "@type": "OrderedCollection",
>   "totalItems": 10,
>   "itemsPerPage": 1,
>   "next": "http://example.org/foo?page=2",
>   "self": "http://example.org/foo?page=1",
>   "startIndex": 0,
>   "orderedItems": [
>     {
>       "@type": "Annotation",
>       "motivation": "commenting",
>       "body": {"value": "I like this!"},
>       "target": "http://www.cnn.com/"
>     }
>   ]
> }

I would like to understand what all these properties *mean* in this
respect. But, first of all, I would also like to understand what we
need in terms of functionalities before adopting a specification
created elsewhere…

For example, the model in EPUB[1] is way simpler and clearer. Why do
we need more than that? (Let us forget about the complexities of the
RDF expression of lists; a JSON-LD or Turtle representation thereof
makes this complexity hidden anyway.)

We could also consider ORE[4] although, I must admit, I do not
remember all the details any more, but it could make it simpler. (I
admit that using a specification developed in another WG has its
advantages, but I would prefer to consider that on technical merit.)

Ivan

[4] http://www.openarchives.org/ore/1.0/vocabulary

> This would be consistent with a (to-be-proposed) use of AS2.0 for
notifications about annotation activity.

> [1] http://www.idpf.org/epub/oa/#h.48f1o3s9o9hf
> [2] http://iiif.io/api/presentation/2.0/#other-content-resources
> [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-core/#collections
>
> —