Re: [web-annotation] Annotation alsoKnownAs <uri>

From: Rob Sanderson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:26:32 +0000
To: public-annotation@w3.org

To address the 'which of these URIs is canonical' question, I propose
(quite simply) that we allow both `via` and `canonical` :smile_cat:

There may not be a canonical URI, for example if the client doesn't
provide a URI at all and sends the annotation to multiple servers.  It
 would be unwise for servers to assert a canonical URI without
instruction from the client, as we could end up with many competing
canonical URIs.

So the processing requirements would be:
  * If a server receives an Annotation with a URI in `id` from a
client, it SHOULD put it in `via` and put its own URI for the
annotation in `id`.  (e.g. a push scenario for acquisition of the
anno)
  * If a federating server discovers and harvests an Annotation with a
 URI in `id`, then it MUST put it in `via` and use its own URI for its
 copy. (e.g. a pull scenario for acquisition of the anno)
  * Servers MUST maintain any asserted `canonical` URI, and there MUST
 be at most one canonical URI asserted. It MAY also be in `via`.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by azaroth42
Please view or discuss this issue at