Re: [admin] Agenda: Teleconference 29 April 2015

Here are the missing lines from scribing:
-------------

Preceding line:
<TimCole> one of them being that footnote is a role in WAI-ARIA and both
DPub and HTML want to see what happens with that

Missing:

11:13 Shepazu: also had a chat with Mike Smith for html working group. He
indicated that he did not think the browser vendors would not be amenable
to note element, or the like. There was  a lot of discussion around
footnotes and pullquotes etc when aside was discussed. There are a lot of
people in the HTML community who look at <article> or <section> and say
that they are not needed in retrospect and that they do not offer
functionality only encode something semantic that can be done otherwise.
Asked if there was a way to encode a note element. He suspected that there
would be fairly strong resistance to this unless it was made more useful.

----------------------

Preceding line: <shepazu> suggest concrete ways in which <note> would
differ from <aside>, describe functional mechanisms rather than just markup
(such as accessibility and navigation), review all decisions about aside
and footnotes, make sure to coordinate with WAI and with CSS WG about
rendering

Missing:

11:23 shepazu: I've always thought we should express it as RDFa. The
question is can we also use plain HTML. I typed up a few concrete ways in
which note would differ from aside. Navigation challenge: from a place in
the doc to the footnote back to the originating instance. It's a functional
requirement that's hard to fulfill today. We should review all the
requirements around <aside> and footnotes. Coordinate with CSS working
group and accessibility folks about their needs. CSS working group has been
working on the rendering of this problem. We should coordinate with Dave
Kramer who is working on this as well. I think there are functional
differences and differences in the API. It's not interesting if we only
just propose markup. We need different UI.

--

*Kyrce Swenson*Manager, Systems Product Support
PXE Enabling Services

*Pearson *Always Learning
Learn more at www.pearson.com