Re: Selectors as URIs?

Yes, sorry, I was too brief.

Clearly, as the fragment is not passed to the server, it cannot take it
into account when performing the redirect.  Thus, if the representation is
multiple resources, the only thing that the server can do is to redirect to
the top level resource without taking into account what the URI actually
identifies, where the fragment is at best meaningless and at worst
incorrect.

Secondly, as DOIs can redirect to any representation, and fragments are
tied to representation formats, to say that it's passed through (like in
Stian's example) is actually the same situation with the possibility of it
being correct.  Perhaps the fragment identifier in the HTML representation
triggers unexpected behavior in a different format's representation, or
perhaps it ends up stuck on a paywall or on a javascript redirect.
Consider Appendix B of Jeni's document where SVG alone can have three
different interpretations for the same fragment identifier :(

All to say ... relying on fragments for the description of a segment of
interest is going to be unreliable compared to just describing it as best
you can, and allowing consuming systems to robustly find the region of
interest.

Rob