Re: Thoughts on WAWG F2F + I Annotate next spring

+1.

Please, if you have any objections at all, do not hesitate to voice your
concerns.  This is an important matter, as Doug said already, we get a lot
of work done in a short amount of time at face to face meetings that
informs the direction of the group afterwards.

I do agree that three in a row within 30 miles of each other is highly
unusual, and we need to take into account the group's preferences.  This is
mitigated by the fantastic offer of travel support, thank you Dan and
Sloan, but money is not the only factor involved.

Thanks all!

Rob

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hey, folks–
>
> I see the reasoning from both sides. As someone in the middle (East Coast
> US), I don't mind flying to California or to Europe.
>
> The WG is currently split pretty much down the middle between Europeans
> and North Americans; but as Nick said, the 5 Hypothes.is folks from Europe
> will be there anyway, leaving 13 Europeans in the WG that may have a
> different preference.
>
> I'm most curious how they feel about it. If you are a member of the WG in
> Europe, please let us know if you feel disadvantaged by having an April F2F
> co-located with I Annotate in San Francisco (given the potential flight
> funding by Sloan). I'm sensitive to Ivan's concerns, but I don't want to
> assume that Europeans are against this; they may enjoy a trip to SF, or
> they may not be inclined to go to a F2F no matter where it's held. I'd like
> to base our conversation on facts.
>
> Regards-
> -Doug
>

> On 11/14/14 6:43 AM, Nick Stenning wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 11:39, Ivan Herman wrote:
>>
>>> Dan,
>>>
>>> I really appreciate your offer. I do have one issue, though: I am
>>> concerned about "continent diversity".
>>>

>> It's worth noting that a substantial contingent intersecting with the
>> WAWG will be going to I Annotate regardless (it is a conference about
>> annotation, after all). You're probably not saving as many people as you
>> might think from a 10+ hour flight by holding the F2F back in Europe.
>>
>> Yours, the obviously biased on this matter,
>>
>> -N

Technology Collaboration Facilitator