Re: FPWD comment - literals, data types and language tags

Hi Ivan, Jeff,

Firstly, I agree wholeheartedly with Jeff's position that we shouldn't be
mixing up model and serialization ... but that's exactly what the
requirement is for string literal bodies.

The model requirement would be:  I want to embed a textual comment within
the annotation as the body.  That's precisely what the EmbeddedContent
resource does (and ContentAsText used to do).  Indeed, when the requirement
was brought up at the CSV WG (for example) the negative reaction was not to
the model, but to the serialization as a JSON object instead of a string.

The requirement to have language associated with a string is also perfectly
reasonable, and already accounted for.   The requirement to have format
associated with a string, ditto.  And the clincher is having both format
and language is not possible with literals in RDF, and must be done with a
resource.

So, if we want to not talk about serialization, that's fine, but the answer
is to get rid of string literals and have a single, coherent model for
embedded content.

If value was mapped to @value and language to @language, that would work
until someone wanted to associate a format with the content. And then it
would break spectacularly.

If we allowed language tagged and (separately) data-typed literals we would
have the following possible combinations all being legal that clients would
have to take into account:

"body": "string"
"body": {"@value": "string"}
"body": {"value": "string"}
"body": {"@value": "string", "@language": "en"}
"body": {"value": "string", "language": "en"}
"body": {"@value": "<b>string</b>", "@type": "rdf:HTML"}
"body": {"value": "<b>string</b>", "format": "text/html"}
// Not @value, @language, @type !
"body: {"value": "<b>string</b>", "language": "en", "format": "text/html"}

Are you SURE that is preferable to a single consistent model?  Do you
REALLY want us to have to explain that the @value/@language/@type
combination is not allowed because RDF (oh oh, warning bells!) doesn't
allow it and hence developers need to deal with lots of special cases?
That is the consequence of going down this route.

I am strongly against it.

Rob