From: Robert Bolick [mailto:robert.bolick@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2014 2:40 AM
To: Bill Kasdorf
Cc: Nick Stenning; public-annotation@w3.org
Subject: Re: use case clarification - cross format annotations

Yep, bit of a stretch, that one, Bill.

There's a similar nest of problems over in the national standards community.

We have a sometimes extant (sometimes not) version of a standard for which there are extant adopted versions available  (ISOs, ENs and BS ISOs and BS ENs).

At BSI, we're assigning DOIs to our BS ISOs and BS ENs. ISO (in Geneva) does not assign DOIs to the extant "central" ISOs, and there is nobody to assign DOIs to the non-extant ENs.

Just to complicate matters further, standards are date-specific, yet global practice is to cite a standard without referring to the date. So when someone submits an undated reference to CrossRef, it shrugs its shoulders. In response, the standards community is agreeing to a DOI-assigned entity for which there is a landing page and to which an undated reference will be pointed. From there, according to the policy of the relevant standards body, the user is redirected to the most recent dated version or to a timeline of dated versions with links to each from which the user can choose. In the case of machine-to-machine users, CrossRef - at the publisher's request - can set the automated response to allow for the multiple versions response or not, and if the former, an exception can be thrown or, if the recipient is set to pass through or cope with multiple resolutions, the multiple versions details will be sent.

Then there's the interesting case of a standard jointly developed by two standards bodies who want separate DOIs pointing to the same thing!

Similar but not quite the same problem as in the annotation use case you've highlighted. The use cases document has been reviewed by BSI publishing product developers and warmly welcomed. Standards are  heavily annotated within companies and across companies in multi-vendor projects. The effort on this key area of collaborative work is eagerly watched.

Cheers,
BobB

Sent from my iPhone