Re: Machine-Readable Records

My point is that if you take the term "machine processable" literally
(as applied to an information format) it becomes completely meaningless,
because ultimately *any* information format can be processed.  But terms
of art are not meant to be taken literally.  A term of art is always a
short hand for a concept that otherwise would be considerably more
cumbersome to reference.

"Machine processable" formats (in the term-of-art sense) were *designed*
for easy precise machine processing.  Natural language was not.  This is
a useful distinction independent of AI.  Like any term of art, it's
meaning needs to be explained to those who are not familiar with it.

Perhaps a more evocative term of art for this concept will emerge at
some point.  If so I would welcome it.  But thus far I have not found a
better one.

Thanks,
David Booth