Re: Machine-Readable Records

Hi David,

Whilst I appreciate the distinction you’re making, the rapid widespread adoption of AI will change how people think of machine processable information, so I think a different term is needed to distinguish informal from formal information. Consider the contrast between a business contract expressed in legalese (a subset of natural language) and the information used to state a particular customer order where precision is essential.  Trying to hold back shifts in the meaning of words is reminiscent of King Canute and the tide, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Canute_and_the_tide

p.s. I am convinced that the energy consumption of AI will come down very considerably as the technology switches to sparse spiking networks on neuromorphic hardware. This may however take another decade yet.

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>