Re: [ontolog-forum] Different methods for different tasks (was symbolic equation

Hello John, thank you
Thank you for the slides-  to say cat is on the mat other than language I
like existential and conceptual graphs the best, they are the most
computatioanally efficient!

I think when we use the word symbolic we may have start disambiguating, at
which level.
Of course, computational symbols are alphanumeric. (this is what Ng referes
to I think)

  Are pictures that do not contain alphanumeric characters symbolic? I
think so (a picture of an umbrella or a house is highly symbolic from a
semiotic point of view

is musical notation symbolic, I think so
  Are audio signals, sounds, also symbols?  more directly related to
perception

For more understanding of symbols, we study signs, semiotic, etc

But here I was referring to the expression symbolic equation does not seem
to make sense as a symbolic knowledge representation

The use of alphanumeric symbols had nothing to do with symbolic AI, whereby
symbolic AI adopts symbolic KR, as we learn also from your book.
But in ML papers now people are mixing the two levels-  and in addition to
various computational headaches including p-values and general
understandability and reproducibility fo the algorithms, now we have to be
careful to see what exactly are they doing and saying when they say
symbolic?  Symbolic KR can be used to explain that-

The sentence you attribute to me below actually Alex's r. no worries

> PDM>ALEX But I am in the position that most important and even terrific
> is that they begin to train ANN with symbolic input and/or output, getting
> exciting results.

PDM