AI, StratML, SDGs, Dashboards & Collaboration

According to Wikipedia, intelligence involves perceiving the environment
and acting to maximize the chance of achieving goals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence The article also
cites Tesler's Theorem: "AI is whatever hasn't been done yet."  See also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_effect

While it may be possible for intelligent agents to decipher goals from
unstructured text, it seems likely they might be able to more
effectively help us achieve our goals if we make them explicit in terms
of near-term objectives and performance indicators.  Since that has not
yet been done on a worldwide scale, why should it not begin with us?

There are more than 4,000 plans in the StratML collection that can be
used for demonstration purposes, including the SDGs:
https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#UNSDG

As far as I am aware, however, progress against the SDGs is not being
reported in an open, standard, machine-readable format. See, for
example, the HTML, CSV & PDF at https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2019/
The presentation of the data is actually pretty good.  See, for example,
https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2019/goal-17/

The problem is that few people know about and take the time to view it,
much less to do anything about it.  While making the data available in
open, standard, machine-readable format would not solve that problem, it
would make it easier for value-added intermediaries to engage
stakeholders in ways that are more accessible and meaningful to them,
e.g., in their own personal and organizational/corporate performance
plans.  From my perspective, failing to do so is an example of
artificial ignorance.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/artificial-ignorance-owen-ambur/

Here's an article addressing the role of AI in achieving the SDGs:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-14108-y It is relatively long
and unstructured and I haven't taken the time to read all of it.
However, here some key point:

    We therefore recommend that AI applications that target SDGs are
    open and explicit about guiding ethical principles, also by
    indicating explicitly how they align with the existing guidelines.

See StratML tool, app, and service requirements Objective 8.3: Values
Alignment
<https://stratml.us/carmel/iso/SMLTASwStyle.xml#_154473aa-208f-11e6-a80e-7333871eb3cb>
& Goal 9: Values Validation
<https://stratml.us/carmel/iso/SMLTASwStyle.xml#_15447c10-208f-11e6-a80e-7333871eb3cb>.
Those requirements are prime candidates for the application of AI.

    On the other hand, the lack of interpretability of AI, which is
    currently one of the challenges of AI research, adds an additional
    complication to the enforcement of such regulatory actions ...

AI developers and agents should be expected, if not required, to
document their objectives and performance indicators in an open,
standard format that is both human- and machine-readable.

    ... associations such as the Future of Life Institute are reviewing
    and collecting policy actions and shared principles around the world
    to monitor progress towards sustainable-development-friendly AI ...

Perhaps we should schedule a televideo conference for them to brief us
on their AI activities and explore prospects for collaboration.
https://stratml.us/carmel/iso/FLIwStyle.xml

    A global and science-driven debate to develop shared principles and
    legislation among nations and cultures is necessary to shape a
    future in which AI positively contributes to the achievement of all
    the SDGs.

Whenever I see calls for legislation and regulation, I view it both as a
cop out as well as an attempt to dictate to others that which we should
take upon ourselves to do, in partnership with those who share our
values and objectives.  Perhaps those who view it as the best way
forward should either study the China model ... or just stand idly by
and wait for them to impose it on all of us.  For an alternative model,
see
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/privately-well-practiced-public-policymaking-owen-ambur/

Here's a shorter article on AI & the SDGs:
https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/blog/2019/Using_AI_to_help_achieve_Sustainable_Development_Goals.html
It suggests, "To improve data accessibility, for example, collectors and
generators of data, whether governments or companies, will need to grant
greater access to NGOs and others seeking to use the data for public
service."  However, it shows no awareness of the importance of open,
machine-readable data standards -- perhaps because usage of such
standards would reduce the need for consultants ... or, rather, it would
require them to add higher-level values than massaging amorphous,
aimless data.

With respect to dashboards, see
https://gcn.com/articles/2017/09/12/yet-another-dashboard.aspx &
https://gcn.com/articles/2017/05/10/machine-readable-data.aspx

I look forward to learning what we might be able to do together along
these lines.

Owen