Re: Comments on WCAG3

Hi Alastair,
Thanks so much for your feedback – I appreciate your thoughtful reply.
I think I'm really trying to make two related points.
The first is that, to grow, WCAG definitely needs to be rebranded, which is
ironic, because 'accessibility' should always apply to everyone, right? If
the guidelines had been called 'disability access guidelines', that would
have made it clear who the target population was. Instead, 'we', the a11y
folks, have our own special subset of people in mind when we use the word
accessibility, and I think that is limiting and ableist. If the web is for
everyone, and it should be, then all web standards should respect the
variety of everyone's needs and abilities.
As you say, the web is a super-dynamic environment consisting of an
ever-evolving profusion of products and products (whew! it's tiring just
thinking about it). But that is exactly why we should be attempting to
embed the core principles of accessibility in to the web's DNA by
repositioning WCAG at the heart of webs standards. I realize I didn't
express that point very well before – I am proposing the WCAG become the
key foundation of a broader 'web building code' (sort of like when Neo
subsumes Agent Smith). I think it would have a liberating effect on the web
ecosystem and lead to better alignment between the various components of
the web ecosystem.
Which brings me to the second point – the impact and value of WCAG itself.
How do we measure impact? One way, obviously, is by how many organizations
adopt it and how many governments point to it in their regulations. What is
really being adopted are the compliance criteria (a quick search brings up
plenty of a11y testing that promises automated testing for WCAG
compliance). This is well and good, but the number of lawsuits against
major companies for inaccessible websites would seem to indicate there is
still a long way to go (we should be measuring the difference we are making
for people with disabilities accessing the web).
So, how could a 'building code' model help make such a difference? Well,
just as physical buildings undergo inspection before getting a permit to
open, why not apply the same principle to websites?
Let me illustrate with a hypothetical: A new pizza chain readies its
website for the public. It does thorough user and a11y testing, and when
they think they have it right and it meets code, they apply for a permit to
begin operation (you can envision various scenarios of testing, variances,
etc., and it would be up to regulators how to handle the permit process,
etc., but the basics are pretty straight forward).

Now is the time for the W3C to step back and take a look at the big
picture. They can take the blue pill and stick with good, old WCAG, or take
a chance on the red pill, and chart an exciting new future for a truly
accessible and inclusive web.
Peace out,
Robert