Re: Access to Learning Games

Hi Greg

Accessibility of educational games hasn’t yet been a topic for discussion for this group, so thank you for raising this topic! It definitely seems like something we should consider in Workstream 2, Documenting what the online learning community needs.

We’ll add that to the list of needs that this work stream will be compiling. If you’d like to contribute further to this work stream’s activities, we’d love to have you on board. But if time precludes, you can assume we’ll come back to you with some follow-up questions :)

Thanks!
Dave

> On 4 May 2016, at 20:01, Greg Gay <greggay@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I've been lurking in the background, and picking up bits and pieces from AccessLearn when I can find time. So, please excuse me if this has already been discussed.
>
> One thing I've been researching recently is accessibility in digital games, and serious games in particular with regard to learning online. We use a variety of games in the courses we offer at Ryerson University. One I demo'd at W4A this year (Lake Devo, http://lakedevo.ryerson.ca). It seems to me serious games should be part of the considerations for this group, given such games are becoming more and more common as learning tools. Though there are some game accessibility requirements that map to WCAG, there are others that do not, like ability to adjust control sensitivity, offer a wide choice of difficulty levels, or allow control remapping etc.
>
> The best resource I've found on game accessibility is at:
> http://gameaccessibilityguidelines.com/
>
> Perhaps this is something AccessLearn can include as a potential resource, or perhaps W3C/WAI could look into this a a litle deeper, and perhaps extend WCAG with some game specific guidelines.
>
> greg

David Sloan

UX Research Lead
The Paciello Group
dsloan@paciellogroup.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of any portion of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at the above e-mail address, and delete this e-mail along with any attachments. Thank you.