Re: TWO WEEK LAST CALL: Regularizing Port Numbers for SSL.

> From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
>
> I also object to trying to do SSL and non-SSL on the same port for
> security reasons.  It adds another level of complexity to making sure
> you don't get rolled back to an insecure state.

Will Netscape's browser process URLs of the forms https://foo.com:80
(resulting in an SSL connection on port 80) and http://foo.com:443
(resulting in an HTTP connection on port 443), and can Netscape's
servers be configured to do an SSL listen on 80 and an HTTP listen on 443?

I believe the answers are all "yes".

Thus the port numbers have nothing to do with security, they are just
a convention that facilitates interoperability without having to look at
the bitstream to guess which protocol is being used.

If you configure a server/browser to only do SSL with only the SSL
versions and ciphersuites that meet your security requirements, then
you can't be rolled back into "an insecure state" (i.e. a connection
using a protocol or ciphersuite that does not satisfy your security
policy).  Port numbers have nothing to do with it.