Re: proposed charter for TLS working group

At 7:43 PM  -0700 5/6/96, Win Treese wrote:
>Goals and Milestones
>
>April 96 Agreement on charter and issues in current draft.

I think this date is fine for "agreement on charter" -- but I don't like
"agreement on issues in current draft". If you are speaking of the
technical draft, I don't think we've agreed that any of the strawmen so far
should go further. The MicroSoft strawman is full of possible holes and has
some falacies in it's basic overview of intentions (at least 4 of the items
claimed to be "fixed" over SSL 3.0 are false statements). At this point,
only SSL 3.0 is actually well underway with a number of implementations
available now and others coming in the next month or so.

>July 96  Final draft for Secure Transport Layer Protocol ("STLP")

I think this is far too soon to expect a final draft of STLP, given a lack
of agreement on the strawman, nor a commitment from MicroSoft to support a
STLP derived from SSL 3.0. I think some of the issues they brought up (for
instance pre-encrypted data, password authentication, etc.) could be
brought into an SSL  style framework (call it SSL 3.1) that would be a
first step toward being officially STLP.

>Nov 96   Working group "Last Call"

In spite of my problem with the July date for the final draft, I do think
it is possible to have the working group last call by November.

>Dec 96   Offer to IESG for IETF "Last Call"

..Christopher Allen                  Consensus Development Corporation..
..<ChristopherA@consensus.com>                 1563 Solano Avenue #355..
..                                             Berkeley, CA 94707-2116..
..<http://www.consensus.com/>             o510/559-1500  f510/559-1505..