Re: Invalid Characters in URLs

On Thu, 19 Sep 2024, Ryan Hamilton wrote:

> Presumably other implementers see this as well? RFC 3986 came out in 2005
> and I suspect the web has evolved significantly since then. In much the same
> way the WG is addressing the issue of invalid characters in Cookies as part
> of rfc6265bis, is there any appetite in the WG for addressing the issue of
> invalid characters in URLs?

A topic dear to my heart: there is no functional URL/URI standard today.

The browsers use the WHATWG URL spec, which is a moving target so older
browsers don't work the same way as newer browsers.

Many components try to follow RFC 3986, but doing that strictly leads to
interop problems with browsers, leading to "liberal interpretations" and
extensions. Some components decide to instead work "like browsers" and follow
the WHATWG spec.

In the end, hardly any two URL/URI parsers treat input the same. It would be
great to one day create a URL/URI spec we all could agree to, but I fear that
train has sailed.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se