Re: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-compression-dictionary-09: (with COMMENT)

Thank you. I have an update in-flight with the edits (working on the better
intro examples) but there were a few that I'm not sure need doc changes
that I wanted to respond to (just in case they do, in fact, need updates to
the doc):

> ## Section 4
>
> As draft-vandevenne-shared-brotli-format has expired for more than a year
(and
> not even WG adopted), I wonder whether this section is still useful ?
I.e.,
> just keep section 5 and remove section 4.

The draft expired and wasn't adopted but is the format that the brotli team
(and tooling) shipped for dictionary-based compression. I asked the team to
see if they could push the draft forward as an informational RFC but I
figured it was better to have a detailed file format spec available than to
leave it out.

> Is there a reason why the lengths of the magic number are different for
the two
> supported compressions ?

The ZStandard magic number is longer because it uses an existing framing
structure of ZStandard where a 4-byte frame type and 4-byte frame length
allow for defining a "skippable frame" that is backwards-compatible with
existing ZStandard code without having to do any preprocessing to skip the
header (where brotli doesn't have similar support so a smaller, custom
header was used).

> ## Section 8
> Should `middle-boxes` be more descriptive (e.g., web proxies, ...) ?

I could list some examples but we have seen a lot of issues with devices
you might not normally think about (IDS systems that passively monitor
traffic as it passes is a painfully common one). I could put in a sample
list but it wouldn't be exhaustive.

Thanks,

-Pat