Re: Proposal Towards Universal HTTP/3, with a polyfill of QUIC for TCP (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-httpbis-http3-on-streams-00.txt)

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024, at 11:01, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Kazuho Oku writes:
>
> > We, Lucas and I, have submitted two drafts aimed at broadening the reach of
> > HTTP/3 - yes, making it available over TCP as well. We are eager to hear
> > your thoughts on these:
>
> So now we will have:
>
> websocket
> http/3
> quic
> tls
> tcp
> ip
> ethernet
> …and who knows how many physical layers below that.
>
> I remember when IETF people ridiculed the OSI protocols for their having seven layers of protocol...

I don't think much has changed to be honest.

An application that would have wanted to use multiple WebSocket flows and paired request/response flows using HTTP/1.1 would have just had to manage multiple connections one level up.

The HTTP/2 equivalent is a single layer that does two things, rather than two layers that do two things as we have with QUIC and HTTP/3.

The use cases and complexity exists no matter where we push it around to.

Cheers
Lucas