Re: Request Speculation (Response Prediction)

While it’s good to find ways to reduce round trips, this approach wouldn’t work in HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 without drastic changes to these protocols, since responses are expected to be sent on respective client-initiated streams. It also wouldn’t work with HTTP/1 if pipelining is enabled, or if the client has multiple requests lined up and simply decides to send another unrelated request first. Not to mention features like path-scoped cookies that might affect the final request.

Redirection is a collaborative process between the client and the server. The client is given the choice to take the redirect, modify the redirect to somewhere different, or not take it at all. If these abilities are taken away, this mechanism is no longer compatible with existing redirection flows. I would suggest using alternative approaches to signal the canonical location without redirects.

Guoye