Re: Feedback on Availability Hints from Apple client perspective

Hi Guoye,

Thanks for the feedback; responses below.

> On 31 Jul 2023, at 7:47 am, Guoye Zhang <guoye_zhang@apple.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for presenting the idea to improve Vary. I hope to provide some perspectives from our HTTP client cache implementation on Apple platforms.
>
> 1. URL is the key we use for cache, and we don’t save multiple variants of the same URL based on Vary. Our experience is that once a value in the request changes, it rarely changes back. E.g. people don’t usually change the device language back and forth; and once a cookie containing an auth token changes, the previous auth token won’t be valid again. So there is little point in keeping the previous variant around.

Yes. As far as I'm aware, no major browser stores more than one variant at at time, currently (see: <https://cache-tests.fyi/#vary>, "An optimal HTTP cache can store two different variants").

However, that may change as features like Client Hints get traction, because they can change for a given browser. I know that some browsers are... lukewarm... about Client Hints, but that's OK -- the primary audience for Availability Hints is shared caches like those in CDNs.

> 2. “Vary: Cookie” is common and often leads to valid responses to be thrown out. “Cookie-Indices” should improve cache hit rate.

Yep. That design needs some iteration, though.

> 3. “Vary: User-Agent” is another common cause of cache churn. Most browsers froze their user agent strings, but the default user agent string of our system HTTP client is something like “MyApp/1.0 CFNetwork/1470 Darwin/23.0.0”, so any time the app or the OS updates, the string would change. I understand that the servers want to retain the flexibility of serving different content per user agent to deploy new features or workaround bugs, but it is hard to model as Availability Hints.

Agreed. It may be best not to try to optimise this practice...