Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-pardue-http-identity-digest-01.txt

Hi HTTP WG,

We're not yet quite done finalizing the HTTP Digest Fields spec [1] but
we're on track. If you recall, we spent a bit of time in the process
reworking the design to cover use cases for simple Content-Digest, while
maintaining the more-advanced Repr-Digest (for representations). That's
where the WG consensus is and should stay IMO.

But there's a third class of use case that neither of those fields support
very well - validating the integrity of a thing after content coding has
been removed. This sort of situation can be hit when, for example, an HTTP
layer helpfully does some transparent decode and presents the "real" bytes
to an application. In such a case, it would be nice for the peer to send
the "identity digest" of the thing, so you can just pipe the presented
bytes into an algorithm and compare the digests. This was something earlier
drafts supported by signalling via the algorithm identifier, which was
discussed quite a lot before being removed and punted [2]. In the meantime,
our technical design has evolved and I've published a spec that proposes
something that better aligns, the Identity-Digest field, see forwarded
attachment.

Cheers
Lucas

[1] - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-digest-headers