Re: Deployment of draft-ietf-httpbis-cice (Client-Initiated Content-Encoding)

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 9:22 PM <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> On 2022-11-02 14:19, Wenbo Zhu wrote:
> > No. The server has rules that decide what MIMI types are compressible.
> > It
> > is possible for a client to apply C-E against an incompressible mime
> > type
> > (as decided by the server).
>
> This is backwards. CICE is for clients to make compression decisions,
> not the server. All the server can do is inform the client which
> decoders it has implemented.
>

> > With 415, the server may have to honor the client's decision to
> > indicate AE
> > for the request, when the server will not compress the response of the
> > same
> > CT.
>
> That certainly sounds like a server bug to me. The server advertised
> that it can receive gzip.
> It should either employ the gzip decoder it told the client it has
> access to, or only advertise identity encoding in the first 415.

The question is not about responses.

There are two options for the A-E value

A-E: gzip  (when the server knows that it is wrong for the client to
compress the request C-T)
A-E: identity (when the client intends to compress the request body)

The detailed rules known to the server to decide what C-Ts are compressible
may not be known to the client (http lib).