Re: Bikeshed: "context" parameter for signatures

Good point. It kinda is the application name but not quite - it's not meant to be like an "agent" header, at least. I am a little wary of "data" because we don't want to imply or encourage putting structured information inside of it for things to parse downstream, which that implies to me.

Perhaps "tag" or "apptag" might work?

________________________________
From: Tyler Ham <tyler@thamtech.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2022 2:53 PM
To: Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Bikeshed: "context" parameter for signatures

My first thought when I see the labels "app" and "application" is that the value is meant to be the name of an application.

How about something like "appdata"? This changes the noun to a generic "data", but it keeps "app" in there as an adjective to indicate that this parameter is for something application-specific.

Tyler