Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7616 (7005)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 02:33:02PM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 02:32:41PM -0700, RFC Errata System wrote:
> > The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7616,
> > "HTTP Digest Access Authentication".
> >
> > --------------------------------------
> > You may review the report below and at:
> > https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid7005
>
> I reported this to the list a couple of years ago as well.
>
> A partial resolution is:
>
> Section 3.4.  Replace section about "Effective Request URI" here, which
> is wrong, because the effective request URI is completely different to
> request-target if the latter is "*".  It should read something like:
>
>   uri
>      The request-target of the HTTP request, per Section 3.1.1 of [RFC7230].
>      This is duplicated here because proxies may change the request-target.
>
> Section 3.4.3.  Replace request-uri with request-target
>
> The examples using an abspath are then all fine.
>
> This leaves Section 3.5, where "request-uri" is used in the rspauth
> construction. I think the only way to fix this is to actually require
> use of the effective request URI here, which is be different behaviour
> to 2617 (again for the "*" case) and possibly fragile. Is there a better
> option?

Hmm, in fact you can do the same with rspauth, use uri, not sure what I
was thinking earlier.

So it really looks like the text from 2617 - using "digest-uri-value"
everywhere as the uri= parameter value - was better, but it got mangled
badly when trying to update it for 7230.

If 7616 kept using "digest-uri-value" everywhere and updated it to mean
request-target instead of request-uri, and dropped references to
"effective request URI" it would all be fine, I think.

Regards, Joe