Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7616 (7005)

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 02:32:41PM -0700, RFC Errata System wrote:
> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7616,
> "HTTP Digest Access Authentication".
>
> --------------------------------------
> You may review the report below and at:
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid7005

I reported this to the list a couple of years ago as well.

A partial resolution is:

Section 3.4.  Replace section about "Effective Request URI" here, which
is wrong, because the effective request URI is completely different to
request-target if the latter is "*".  It should read something like:

  uri
     The request-target of the HTTP request, per Section 3.1.1 of [RFC7230].
     This is duplicated here because proxies may change the request-target.

Section 3.4.3.  Replace request-uri with request-target

The examples using an abspath are then all fine.

This leaves Section 3.5, where "request-uri" is used in the rspauth
construction. I think the only way to fix this is to actually require
use of the effective request URI here, which is be different behaviour
to 2617 (again for the "*" case) and possibly fragile. Is there a better
option?

Regards, Joe