Re: METADATA frames for HTTP/2 and HTTP/3

Hi Bence,

Personal comment -- the issue I have with extremely generic protocol elements like this is that they don't encourage or facilitate interoperability. There's no semantics to 'grab onto', nothing an intermediary can do without application-specific knowledge or configuration, etc.

If the use case is telemetry, we could talk about how that might be best accommodated in the protocol, and it might end up as a TELEMETRY frame (or header, or trailer, or resource...). As it is, this is just another tunnelling mechanism, and we already have a lot of options there.

Just my .02.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/