Re: New Version Notification for draft-duke-httpbis-quic-version-alt-svc-00.txt

Hi Ben

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022, 19:44 Ben Schwartz, <bemasc@google.com> wrote:

> I would like to see this draft define a matching SVCB parameter as well.

A matching SVCB parameter sounds like a sensible design choice. From a
process perspective is HTTP WG a suitable venue to pursue that?

> This draft seems to be predicated on several assumptions about QUIC
> versioning:
> * The QUIC handshake will always be downgrade-resistant.
> * There will soon be QUIC versions whose Initial cannot be parsed as
> QUICv1.
> * After a QUIC version is defined, it will never gain support for an ALPN
> that predates it.  (Otherwise, the client and server might disagree on
> whether QUICvN supports the given ALPN.)  In principle, this requires that
> definitions of new QUIC versions and new ALPNs do not occur concurrently.
>
> Does the QUIC WG have consensus on these points?

Your two first points seem accurate, although I'll defer to the VN experts
in the room to state definitively.

On the third point I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Imagine a
QUIC version ("bob") was defined that was incompatible with QUIC v1. Let's
say it removed client-initiated bidirectional streams. The "bob" version
can't support the predated "h3" ALPN because the HTTP/3 mapping onto QUIC
would be broken. Somebody could define a new mapping that used a pair of
uni streams for request and response, that mapping would need a different
ALPn value than "h3". In such a scenario don't think there is a hard
requirement on concurrent definitions. But what's needed I people
understanding what features of the QUIC transport version they use, and
what incompatible means.

Cheers
Lucas