Re: Zaheduzzaman Sarker's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-targeted-cache-control-03: (with COMMENT)

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:47:10 +1100
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-httpbis-targeted-cache-control@ietf.org, httpbis-chairs@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, tpauly@apple.com
To: Zaheduzzaman Sarker <Zaheduzzaman.Sarker@ericsson.com>

> On 18 Jan 2022, at 7:21 pm, Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> I have only one observation - CND-Cache-Control is a targeted for CDN caches,
> however, my understanding is this can end up in the clients. There is no
> description or reference to description about what a client supposed to handle
> this (obvious is to ignore). It would be great if we can write something about
> it or refer to the client behavior description elsewhere. If my understanding
> is wrong that this header field will never reach any client then I would say it
> requires some wording in the specification to clearly state that.

This is the case for all HTTP fields -- implementations that aren't consuming a field ignores it. That allows extensibility.

Furthermore, the spec already says: "Targeted fields that are not on a cache's target list MUST NOT change that cache's behaviour, and MUST be passed through."

Note that a cache is a component that's separate and independent from clients or servers -- i.e., a client or server can have a cache.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/