Re: URL, URI and the w3c

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 23:35:22 +0200 (CEST)
To: Roberto Polli <robipolli@gmail.com>
cc: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Giuseppe De Marco <giuseppe.demarco@teamdigitale.governo.it>, ted.ietf@gmail.com
On Tue, 14 Jun 2022, Roberto Polli wrote:

> I am curious then what a specification like OAuth-Somethin which relies on
> both browsers and generic user agents should adopt...

There are as many answers to that as there are URL/URI parser authors (=
many). URL interop is very poor these days. I say this as someone who works
with this challenge on a daily basis.

The current state of URLs and URIs cannot be described as anything less than a
horrible mess, a security nightmare [*] and an infected area that lots of
persons will not go near due to the past experiences and personal conflicts.

[*] = https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2022/01/10/dont-mix-url-parsers/

--

  / daniel.haxx.se