Re: Advertising WebSocket support in the HTTPS resource record

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 11:19 PM Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 9:34 PM Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 4:21 PM Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm not tied to any particular solution here, it seems we are agreeing
>>> on the problems though, which is good.

>>> I can think of good reasons for a server to support only "websocket" and
>>> not "connect-udp", or vice versa.
>>>

>> I can think of good reasons for an "origin" to support only one
>> :protocol.  I don't think we should allow a single origin to support
>> "websocket" on H2 but not H3, and "connect-udp" on H3 but not H2.  That's
>> the case I'm trying to rule out, because it would greatly complicate the
>> required client behavior.
>>

> That's the exact case I'm thinking about. There might be little value
> trying to backport connect-udp to H2 for some kinds of services, it might
> be better to fallback to plain old CONNECT. Meanwhile, someone might have
> websocket support left as a TODO for HTTP/3. Requiring feature parity
> across all versions just increases the bar to experimentation or deploying
> new versions of things.
>

>>> For intermediaries, what the origin is telling the client can be
>>> completely outside their control.
>>>

>> That's fine.  You serve a 4XX.  Whoever told clients to use
>> wss://origin-that-doesn't-always-support-websockets is at fault.

I think as well that this is too much. Thee should be graceful way to deal
with this. If we have one settings for all feature that use the extended
CONNECT, there should be a way for a server to gently say that it does not
support that particular protocol. Leaving everything to a good
configuration of a whole system with a lot of moving parts is not good.

dragana