Re: Advertising WebSocket support in the HTTPS resource record

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 11:53 PM Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this draft, Dragana!
>
> As a matter of IETF procedure, I think it's best to avoid specifying a
> number for the SvcParam in your draft at least until it is adopted by a
> working group.  (Right now we are in a slightly awkward position, as the
> SvcParam registry will be First-Come-First-Served, but it does not yet
> exist.)  Your chosen value, for example, happens to collide with
> draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-dns.

Thank you. I will fix it and I will remember for further drafts.

> On the technical side, I wonder if you've looked at
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-vvv-httpbis-alps?  That
> proposal would provide the SETTINGS frame earlier in the handshake,
> achieving the same goal of avoiding this delay.  Compared to delivery over
> DNS, it has some important benefits.  For example, it reduces the amount of
> information that needs to be synchronized between HTTP servers and their
> DNS zones, and encompasses any future HTTP SETTINGS as well.

The draft will eliminate some of this delay, but the TLS handshake still
needs to be completed. There can be situation where it is possible to use
HTTP/3 and HTTP/2, the client could choose to try HTTP/3, fallback to
HTTP/2 and than to HTTP/1.1 or skip one of the steps.

Dragana