Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-bishop-httpbis-origin-h3-00.txt

Hey Mike,

Maybe it's a tad too simple:

* I was kind of surprised to be reminded that RFC 8336 requires receivers
to only ignore the frame on a non-zero stream. We tended to be a bit more
assertive in HTTP/3. Perhaps there was a good reason in RFC 8336? If not,
maybe it's time to be stricter.
* RFC 8336 does some weird hand waving with flags, and we don't have those
in HTTP/3. Your I-D talks mainly about payload commonly, so skirts the
matter. But I wonder if something would need to be said here, for example
H2-H3 converter intermediaries that might find someone sends flags that
they can't forward. This type of thing is mentioned in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-quic-http-34#appendix-A.2.4,
where it is suggested the H2 flags would be accommodated as part of the H3
frame payload.
* In a similar vein, the possible size of an H3 frame is a larger than H2.
It seems to possible to split H3 frames into several H2 frames if it was
really required, since the Origin Set will be updated in order anyway.
* The discussion of Origin Set, especially with regards to coalescing, is
perhaps a little too light.
* The stuff in RFC 8336 about the "h2" is pretty obvious to map over
conceptually. But the ongoing discussions about ALPN proliferation might
come into play
* There's no explicit payload definition, which I suspect is on purpose.
Core HTTP/3 frame and payloads tend to use varints, so using a fixed-size
Origin-len might catch some out.
* There's a very nitpicky errata about the ORIGIN payload format, which is
being imported ;-) [1]
* *maybe* there's something to be said here about ORIGIN and alt-svc,
because we are likely expecting HTTP/3 services to have been discovered via
those means already (as oppposed other HTTP versions)

Cheers,
Lucas

[1] - https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5378