Re: Working Group Last Call: HTTP/2 revision

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 05:39:34 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Hi Julian,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 04:56:07PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Below a few more nits about Section 8:
>
> 8.1.1
>
> A malformed request or response is one that is an otherwise valid
> sequence of HTTP/2 frames but is invalid due to the presence of
> extraneous frames, prohibited fields or pseudo-header fields, the
> absence of mandatory fields or pseudo-header fields, the inclusion of
> uppercase field names, or invalid field names and/or values (in certain
> circumstances; see Section 8.2).
>
> Q: are there any mandatory fields that are not pseudo-header fields?

We could say "Host" if there's no ":authority", but in general if we
defer to semantics the rules for validating a HEADERS frame, I find
it useful to just give rough examples of what could be covered by
the core spec.

> 8.2
>
> To improve efficiency and interoperability, field names MUST be
> converted to lowercase when constructing an HTTP/2 message.
>
> Q: I think this is somewhat misleading, it just provides the motivation
> why the lowercase format was introduced initially. I would just remove
> the sentence and potentially insert a note about lower-casing into the
> field name validity statements.

Or maybe just turn it like this:

  To improve efficiency and interoperability, HTTP/2 only uses lowercase
  header field names, so all field names MUST be converted to lowercase
  when constructing an HTTP/2 message.

Regards,
Willy