Re: More on allowed field characters

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 01:42:10PM +1000, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> Martin, Roy,
>
> How about the latest text is augmented to say something like:
>
> The HPACK is able to transport characters that are not valid HTTP and as
> such HTTP/2 implementations may be used for
> non-HTTP semantic transport.  HTTP/2 implementations that are used to
> represent HTTP semantics MUST validate field
> names and values according to their definitions in Sections <xref
> target="HTTP" section="5.1" format="counter"/>
>

> I.e make it really clear that when HTTP/2 impl is being used with the core
> HTTP spec then it MUST comply with that spec.  If it is transporting
> non-HTTP compliant headers, then it make it clear it is not representing
> HTTP semantics.

I think it's roughly the same as what is already there, but I'm fine
with this. However I really want that we keep the extra caution about
the risk of failing to filter out CR/LF/COLON from these fields by
reusing known valid code which was not subject to this before H2, and
that we add the caution on what must absolutely be filtered out of
pseudo-header fields before reassembling them.

Willy