#1605: Targeted CC as a trailer?

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 12:06:58 +1000
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/1605>

We recently had a fairly long discussion about whether we could define Cache-Control as a trailer, so that caching policy could be updated after content is sent. We concluded that there wasn't yet enough interest or alignment to pursue specification work there.

I've raised this issue for Targeted Cache-Control to see if there's any interest in defining it for these headers. For example, a CDN or reverse proxy could support trailer updates of caching policy when targeted specifically at them.

From a specification standpoint, we could do that by explaining how it would work, but requiring the specific header field definition to explicitly opt into being valid in trailers. I'd say CDN-Cache-Control wouldn't do this, but other fields could.

Alternatively, we could leave the spec as-is, and allow individual headers to specify how they do this. The potential issue there is that they might divert in doing so.

Are folks (especially those who have a cache implementation) interested in this?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/