Re: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-proxy-status-06: (with COMMENT)

Hi Éric,

Thanks for the feedback. Responses below.

> On 25 Aug 2021, at 9:03 pm, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Is there any reason why a 'Proxy-Status-Request' (or similar) is not specified ?

It would complicate the protocol significantly, because it would have implications for e.g., caching.

> -- Section 2 --
> About "Origin servers MUST NOT generate the Proxy-Status field.", while I
> understand the reasoning of it, I still wonder how a 'smart gateway' (not a
> plain HTTP proxy but more like a content changer, such as mobile optimization
> by reducing IMG size, or language translation, or ...) should handle this ? As
> it is new content, the 'smart gateway' is the origin but getting info from the
> real origin could also be useful. Or is it simply over-complex ?

Those would be either gateways or proxies in HTTP terminology, depending on how they're configured -- both classes of intermediaries.

> -- Section 2.1.2 --
> Some explanations about the example would be welcome.

See:
  https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/19022135

> -- Section 2.3 --
> Should there be an error type for 'too many intermediaries' ?

No. There hasn't been any practical need for one.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/