Re: New Version Notification for draft-kazuho-httpbis-selftrace-00.txt

On Sun, Aug 15, 2021, at 18:13, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> > Right. I would hope that it would be possible to implement this as a browser extension at least (with the assumption being that requests from a browser extension would be coalesced with other requests going to the same authority).
>
> Unfortunately, browsers do not guarantee this property, and past
> efforts in the IETF to standardize features that assume this property
> (e.g. Token Binding) or in other SDOs (e.g. ETSI’s unfortunate design
> with regards to QWACs) end up not working in practice.

Rather than .well-known, would it help to negotiate a tracing endpoint for a request?

GET /test-video HTTP/?
Host: example.com
Trace: ?1

200 OK
Link: </trace/6sw3vfg5n7>;rel=trace

You might get the same trace URL for all requests, but you can bind connection-level information into the URL.