Re: Ddos prevention for ssl

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 06:37:50AM -0700, Erik Aronesty wrote:
> In my study a proof of work vastly improved resilience to a ddos with a
> large number of seemingly valid handshake initializations

If you have a few clients which are forced to perform a lot of handshakes
each, sure. If you have 11M clients doing a single handshake each, as Paul
suggested, you still have to perform 11M handshakes once they validate the
challenge. That's why I said that when facing a large swarm of attackers
which is large enough to hurt you with a non-repetitive action, all you can
do is try to classify them based on their characteristics (e.g. signature).
And it's not easy at all. Sometimes even having to just handle the TCP
connection can be challenging.

Willy